My mom gave me a recipe from a cookbook which we played with and made it to suit or desires. She served this in two restaurants in Puerto Rico. People came back often just for THIS dessert. Intense, rich and delicious!
5 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1-1/2 tablespoons instant coffee, optional
Pinch of salt
Glaze ingredients (with 2 options)
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon brandy or bourbon, option #1
1tablespoon instant coffee, optional #2
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10-inch spring form pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment or wax paper, then butter the paper. Set aside.
- For the cake, melt the chocolates and butter together in a saucepan set over low heat, stirring to blend well. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff.
- Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the yolks, then fold in one third of the egg whites.
- Fold in remaining whites until no streaks of white remain.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 35–45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- The cake will rise a great deal during baking.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes,then remove sides of the pan.
- Invert the cake onto a rack and remove the bottom, but do not remove the parchment.
- Let cake cool completely; it will fall considerably.
- Remove parchment before glazing.
Glaze preparation/glazing of cake
To make glaze, melt the chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Stir in the brandy.
- Place the cake on a rack set over a sheet of wax paper.
- Pour glaze over cake and spread lightly with a spatula, if necessary to coat evenly, allowing extra glaze to run down sides.
Serve small wedges and complement with a dab of whipped cream.
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.