A good friend baked a gluten-free cake (with chocolate and vanilla ice cream on top!) for her daughter’s birthday celebration and it was a great hit with all of her non-GF dieter guests. Though the below recipe was made with regular ice cream, you can always opt to make your own gluten-free version. If you whip out your ice cream maker, here are some of my homemade ice cream tips.
2 cups fine millet flour
½ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup butter
½ cup clover honey
1 TB of organic sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks
½ cup vanilla yogurt
½ cup water
6 egg whites
Flavor(s) of ice cream of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Oil and flour a 9 x 13 cake pan.
3. Mix 2 C fine millet flour with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder and
1/2 teaspoon baking soda.
4. In separate bowl cream 1/2 C butter with 1/2 C clover honey and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
5. Add 3 egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well.
6. In separate bowl, add 1/2 C yogurt to 1/2 C water. Mix.
7. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the honey-butter-vanilla-egg mix and beat well.
8. Add 1/3 of the yogurt-water mix and beat well.
9. Alternate, adding dry, then wet, beating well after each addition. Add more flour if necessary to make the batter thick.
10. Beat 6 egg whites until stiff.
11. Fold the batter into the egg whites carefully.
12. Spoon the batter into the oiled and floured cake pan.
13. Bake 30-35 minutes. Might need to bake for 40 minutes, depending on your oven’s strength. Insert a toothpick to check done-ness – when it comes out clean, then it’s done.
14. Cool 5 minutes before turning the cake out onto a cooling rack.
15. Once cooled, spread your flavor of ice cream all over the top, and add sprinkles, chocolate syrup, etc.
16. Freeze for about 8 hours afterwards and enjoy!
From our home to yours, Miranda Jade.