(serves 14- 16)
This one is SO yummy! Oh my gosh you will love it! If you really love chocolate you can use chocolate frosting on it as well.
Make sure to make this a day or two ahead of time and refrigerate it then bring it to room temperature before serving, as it will be too firm to serve if cold. Serve to your guests after you make them bacon roasted chicken.
1 lb GF dark chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet), chopped
5 oz unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
5 egg yolks
1 tbsp GF flour
5 egg whites
Pinch cream of tartar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
¾ tsp ground ginger
14 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp maple syrup
2 apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 tbsp butter
½ c vanilla ice cream or ice cream alternative (optional)
fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line the bottom of an 8-in. springform pan with parchment paper. Melt chocolate with butter in a large bowl set over hot, but not boiling, water. Remove from heat and whisk in egg yolks and flour.
3. In a separate, clean bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating mixture until a soft peak forms. Add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Fold a quarter of egg whites mixture into chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest.
4. Scrape into prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes exactly. Cool. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate at least 4 hours, or overnight.
5. At least an hour before serving, remove cake from refrigerator, remove the outer ring, and invert onto a plate, removing parchment paper. Using a fine strainer, dust the top with cocoa until it is well-coated.
6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
7. Combine ginger, allspice, and sugar. Gently toss with apples. Melt butter in an ovenproof pan over medium heat. Add apples and cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Turn apples cut sides up. Transfer to oven and roast until tender, about 7 minutes.
8. To serve: Warm a sharp knife with hot water and dry. Cut cake slivers with warm knife and transfer to dessert plates. Add two warm apple quarters and add a small scoop of ice cream or ice cream alternative, if desired. Garnish with mint sprigs.
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.