You can buy this ready-made, but it’s really worth it to prepare it yourself. Highly aromatic, for traditional North Indian and Mogul cooking, this spice blend is absolutely essential.
2 tbsp black peppercorns
2 tbsp cardamom seeds
2 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp whole cloves
1 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1. Obtain a heavy-bottomed frying pan or skillet to dry-fry the spices.
2. Put the peppercorns, cardamom seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cinnamon pieces and whole cloves into the pan over a medium heat. If you use a higher heat than this, you’ll prematurely cook the spices, which leaves the insides of them undercooked.
3. Toast the spices, stirring occasionally until they have become several shades darker. They will also give off a sweet, smoky smell when they are cooked properly, usually about 10 minutes.
4. Transfer the mixture to a mortar & pestle, spice mill, or grinder. Grind to powder.
5. Add grated nutmeg and mix together well.
6. Use mixture immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 3 months.
Once you’ve made it yourself, trust me, you’ll never go back to store-bought!
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.