These gluten-free pretzels taste just like the real thing—soft and chewy. Mmmm!
3 2/3 c gluten-free flour mix
1/3 c potato flour
2 tbsp rapid yeast
1 ½ tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp melted butter or nondairy replacement
1 1/2 –2 c warm water, divided
2/3 c baking soda
10 c water
1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 tbsp water
Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
1. Mix together flour mix, potato flour, yeast, xanthan gum, and salt.
2. Using the paddle attachment of your mixer, beat ingredients together on medium speed, adding melted butter and 1 ¼ c warm water. Add enough water to make a soft but not wet dough. Beat for 5 minutes. Then cover and let sit for 5 mins.
3. Uncover and beat an additional 4 mins. Oil dough lightly. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place it in a warm spot for 30 mins.
4. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a 12-inch rope. Make a U shape with the rope. Holding the ends, cross them over each other and press them onto the top of the rope to form a pretzel. Transfer to parchment-lined pan. Cover with lightly-oiled plastic wrap and let rise for 20 to 20 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with vegetable oil. Set aside.
6. Bring baking soda and 10 c water to a boil in a large saucepan. Lower to simmer and cover.
7. Place pretzels into boiling water, one at a time, and boil for 30 secs. Remove from water with a slotted spoon.
8. Return boiled pretzels to the sheet pan. Brush each with egg yolk and water mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
9. Place in preheated oven and bake until dark golden brown, about 12 to 14 mins. Transfer to a rack and cool for at least 5 mins before serving.
Dip them into some yellow mustard, cheesy sauce, or whatever you like!
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.