A simple little story goes with this simple yet delicious dish. Margana’s parties always had a spread on the table that caught everyone’s eyes. I soon learned that if you have a few simpler dishes to prepare you can splurge with your time on the decorating. Thanks Margana.
By the way, kids love this dish as well as the men in our lives.
2 cans black beans (2 pounds total)
or 20 ounces dried beans (soaked)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bay leaves
1-2 teaspoons vinegar
- Heat olive oil in large pan and saute pepper, onion and garlic.
- Add beans with liquid, leaves and vinegar and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Keep checking on beans as cooking time could be longer or shorter.
- When done, beans will be softened.
- Optional: Garnish with a little sour cream, chopped peppers and serve with a side of rice.
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin.