Serve these South American cornmeal cakes with a side of pico de gallo or fresh corn salsa.
2 cups precooked cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups hot chicken broth or water
½ cup canned black or pinto beans, drained
½ cup shredded rice or soy cheese
1. Combine the cornmeal and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the broth (or water). Mix until a dough with no lumps forms.
3. When it’s cool enough to touch, use your hands to divide it into 8 pieces. Cover each piece with a damp towel.
4. Heat a lightly-greased large griddle. Dip your hands in cold water (to prevent sticking) and roll each dough piece into a ball. Using your fingers, make an indentation in the center of each.
5. Place a teaspoon of each of the beans and cheese into each ball.
6. Pinch the dough around the filling to enclose it.
7. Flatten each ball to 1 inch thick between your palms.
8. Cook them on the griddle until crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
TIP: Tell first-time arepa eaters that a “surprise” awaits them inside the cake.
From our home to yours, Miranda Jade.