Apple pie is a classic dessert, perfect for any special occasion or holiday. This gluten-free, grain-free version is made from raw ingredients and is dairy-free. Make sure to top it off with some delicious dairy-free Coconut Whipped “Cream.”
Step 1: Pecan Crumble (Prepare first.)
1 ½ c pecans (pieces or whole)
2 tsp honey
1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
1 ½ tbsp carob powder
½ tbsp date sugar
1. Grind ingredients in a food processor until finely textured, but don’t overgrind or else they’ll release too much moisture (about 15-2o seconds grinding depending on equipment).
2. On a Teflex dehydrator sheet, lay out the mixture so that it is as thin and evenly spaced as possible.
3. Dehydrate for 4-5 hours.
4. Reserve crumbles for later use.
Step 2: Apple Piece Sauce
½ tsp clove, ground
2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp allspice
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ c cashews, soaked 3 hrs
1 tsp orange peel, fresh or dried (You can find it dried in spice sections of most gourmet markets.)
¼ tsp cardamom
¼ c currants (or raisins)
¾ c water
1tbsp agave (or date paste)
½ tsp salt
1. Using a very high-powered blender, blend all of the above until very smooth.
2. Keep the mixture reserved in the blender for later use.
Step 3: Coconut Whipped “Cream” (Prepare third.)
3 medium young Thai coconuts, meat only (3/4 to 1 c meat total)
½ c coconut oil, firm
1/8 c agave
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1. Blend all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until very smooth.
2. Place into a storage container and refrigerate for later use. (Stays good for up to 3 weeks.)
Step Four: Apple Filling (Prepare last.)
4 medium apples, cored and cut into large pieces (optional: soaked in Kahlua or rum)
½ tsp sea salt (brings out the sweetness)
1 tbsp lemon juice
Just before serving, pulse the ingredients listed above a few times in your food processor just to roughly chop the apple pieces to a chunky consistency.
Step Five: Apple Pie Assembly
1. Re-blend the apple pie sauce on a continuous run for 1-1 ½ min. to warm the mixture.
2. While blending, in a serving casserole dish (1-c size) or large ramekin, place the pulsed apple filling leaving about an inch from the top for the crumble.
3. Spoon 2-3 tbsp of the crumble over the apple.
4. Add a dollop of the Coconut Whipped “Cream” over the center of the crumble.
5. Garnish the dish with some chopped fresh mint or some nutmeg!
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.