This was contributed by Brenna Jensen, who writes, “I have made this pie so often; the crust is great as posted in the recipe, but I’ve also used it to make pumpkin and berry pie as well. Enjoy!” Thanks, Brenna!
(makes two crusts)
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Avail at Kroger & online)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (Bob’s Red Mills)
8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg
1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract (Available online at the Gluten Free Pantry)
7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple (such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, Cortlands)
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup gluten-free flour (See above)
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, chilled & cut into small pieces
1. In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, xanthan gum and cornstarch.
2. Then add the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
3. Remove dough from bowl and knead and fold on a surface dusted with GF flour until well well combined.
4. Divide into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, place one in the refrigerator to chill and place the other in the freezer for later use.
5. Go ahead and make Apple Filling while the Pastry Crust is chilling.
6. After approx 20 minutes, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a ball.
7. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly GF floured surface until it is the thickness of a normal pie crust.
8. Place crust in a 9 inch glass pie dish that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
9. Using a fork poke a bunch of holes in the sides and bottom of the crust.
Apple Filling Instructions
10. In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
11. Set aside and let the juices mix.
Crumble Topping Instructions
12. In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
13. Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
Assembling your Pie
14. Preheat oven to 400°F.
15. Spoon apples into your pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
16. Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
17. Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
18. Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
19. Let cool for at least an hour before serving.
Contributed by Brenna Jensen
Miranda Jade Turbin
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.