This gluten-free, grain-free recipe comes from my friend Sue Minkoff. This is one of my favorite cake recipes! You do need to be a pretty well seasoned baker to be able to play with this recipe as Sue is. She does not measure so no two breads come out the same. If you are a baker or love to invent in the kitchen like I do, then this recipe is for you. There are so many options and the possibilities are endless.
Tina- I don’t measure when I make this cake. I play and have fun so i is always different and delicious. Love, Sue
3 beaten eggs
5-6 apples, shredded
2 pears, shredded
½ c dried cherries
½ c light olive oil
Coconut flour and/or almond meal flour (coconut flour will soak up more liquid)
½ to 1 c hemp flour
For binders: a little potato flour and xanthan gum and arrowroot powder, sorghum and tapioca flour Optional: shredded carrots or can of organic pumpkin , 1-2 bananas in the food processor for sweetening Optional: Xylitol or stevia, to taste, Italian plums or your favorite fruit
3 egg yolks
½ to 1 c coconut milk
Xylitol or stevia to sweeten
Tad of vanilla
1. Mix 3 beaten eggs with some salt, cinnamon, baking powder, allspice, ginger, and a little vanilla.
2. Add shredded apples and pears, dried cherries, walnuts, olive oil, coconut flour and/or almond meal flour, hemp flour, and binders (a little potato flour and xanthan gum and arrowroot powder, sorghum and tapioca flour). Optional: Add shredded carrots or a can of organic pumpkin.
3. Add 1-2 bananas in the food processor for sweetening.
4. Taste batter. If it’s not sweet enough, add xylitol or stevia to taste.
5. Put in a spring form pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees.
Optional custard chopping:
1. After a half hour to 40 mins, check the cake. If it’s almost done, add custard topping.
2. Mix 3 beaten egg yolks with coconut milk, xylitol or stevia, and a tad of vanilla.
3. Cut Italian plums in half, cut-side-up (or you can use your favorite fruit) on top of the cake.
4. Pour custard on top.
5. Bake until the custard just sets.
OK, ladies and gents, I challenge you to give this a try and please submit your picture and your recipe so I can share your success with Sue’s recipe. She would be delighted to know YOUR outcomes as well.
From our home to yours, Miranda Jade.