There’s always a little Italian in all of us, and for us on a Gluten-Free diet, we have to come up with ways to satisfy all our taste desires – and we easily can.
Here you go!
Sun-dried tomato pesto:
¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
3-4 cloves garlic, to taste
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano
2 tablespoons pignoli nuts (toasted)
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
12 thin slices GF sour dough bread or any good hearty GF bread
(cut bread into smaller pieces if you arent’ able to buy tubular)
½ cup crumbled feta cheese
12 fresh basil leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Soak sun-dried tomatoes in very hot water until soft, 5-10 minutes and drain, reserving your liquid.
3. Place tomatoes and remaining pesto ingredients in blender or food processor and process until well mixed. If too thick, blend in a little of the reserved liquid. Set aside.
4. On a large baking sheet, toast bread slices for about 5 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once. Remove from oven.
5. Spread each bread slice with tomato pesto.
6. Top with small amount of crumbled feta cheese and one small basil leaf.
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin.