Tina’s Irish Beef Stew (grain free)
4 TBL Olive Oil
2 pounds stew meat cut up about 1 or 1-1/2 inch pieces
3-4 TBL coconut flour
1 pound carrots-cut in 1 inch cubes
5-6 potatoes- peel and cut in 1 inch cubes
1 large white or yellow onions cut ( can use pearl onions but peel them first)
6 cloves garlic chopped real fine
2-3cups beef broth
1cup red wine
*1 bottle Guinness beer (or any good Irish beer)-this is not gluten-free so use a gluten free beer for a GF stew if you are celiac or gluten intolerant
4 TBL arrowroot powder
5 TBL coldwater
Salt-pepper to taste
- Turn crock pot to LOW
- Toss stew meat in bowl with flour
- Heat up oil in LARGE Skillet with high sides on stove until very hot
- Add stew meat and stir until only brown
- Add onion and garlic- stir
- Add carrots and potatoes- stir on low heat about 5minutes
- Take off stove
- Add all this to crock pot
- Add wine, beef broth and beer to crock pot and stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW about 10-12 hours
- Remove lid stir gently
- Take one full cup of hot broth from crock-pot and add to a pan and bring to simmer
- Take 2TBL arrowroot powder add to 2-1/2TBL coldwater
- Add to the 1cup of simmering broth stir- it will thicken
- Set aside (do not pour back in the pot yet!
- Repeat #12- #15 with a new cup of broth from the crock-pot
- Add these 2 cups back to the stew and stir in gently
- Allow stew to sit covered about 15 minutes
- Add salt-pepper to taste if so desired
Serve immediately to each guest in a wide or deep bowl and enjoy!
Heats up VERY well on following days.
*DOES NOT freeze well as the veggies get mushy after thawing.
Miranda Jade Turbin
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin.