Tina’s Irish Beef Stew (grain free)
4 TBL Olive Oil
2 pounds stew meat cut up about 1 or 1-1/2 inch pieces
3-4 TBL coconut flour
1 pound carrots-cut in 1 inch cubes
5-6 potatoes- peel and cut in 1 inch cubes
1 large white or yellow onions cut ( can use pearl onions but peel them first)
6 cloves garlic chopped real fine
2-3cups beef broth
1cup red wine
*1 bottle Guinness beer (or any good Irish beer)-this is not gluten-free so use a gluten free beer for a GF stew if you are celiac or gluten intolerant
4 TBL arrowroot powder
5 TBL coldwater
Salt-pepper to taste
- Turn crock pot to LOW
- Toss stew meat in bowl with flour
- Heat up oil in LARGE Skillet with high sides on stove until very hot
- Add stew meat and stir until only brown
- Add onion and garlic- stir
- Add carrots and potatoes- stir on low heat about 5minutes
- Take off stove
- Add all this to crock pot
- Add wine, beef broth and beer to crock pot and stir well.
- Cover and cook on LOW about 10-12 hours
- Remove lid stir gently
- Take one full cup of hot broth from crock-pot and add to a pan and bring to simmer
- Take 2TBL arrowroot powder add to 2-1/2TBL coldwater
- Add to the 1cup of simmering broth stir- it will thicken
- Set aside (do not pour back in the pot yet!
- Repeat #12- #15 with a new cup of broth from the crock-pot
- Add these 2 cups back to the stew and stir in gently
- Allow stew to sit covered about 15 minutes
- Add salt-pepper to taste if so desired
Serve immediately to each guest in a wide or deep bowl and enjoy!
Heats up VERY well on following days.
*DOES NOT freeze well as the veggies get mushy after thawing.
Miranda Jade Turbin
From our home to yours, Tina Turbin
If you have any questions or suggestions just email me at info (at) GlutenFreeHelp.info.